Saturday, January 01, 2011

Avalanche Chute

"Avalanche Chute"
10" x 16" (Finished)

Under painting after an alcohol wash.

Laying down the under drawing & blocking in zones of color.

Here is the latest pastel painting that I've been working on over the past two days. I've included a few more photos showing a before and after progression using rubbing alcohol once again for the under painting. This approach has really been a wonderful process to execute and permits to me to work much more quickly. One of the delightful things I've discovered is this process has really loosen me up.

The reference photo was taken last summer while on a hike with my nephew Ethan up to Lake Silvis (video). As we were hiking up the access road we came across an ice cave at the end of an avalanche chute from the spring run-off earlier in the year. It was such a beautiful summer day I will never forget our time together that day. This pastel was a great way to began a new year, remembering the past while moving towards the future.

No comments: