Saturday, January 14, 2006

Dinner with Rathbun's

Today we awoke to large snow flakes falling gently on the deck. The morning air had an unusual silence about it as the whiteness filled in the shadows beneath the tree's in the driveway. It was like time itself was trying to stand still or the tree's were trying to capture the newness of the moment knowing that it will fade away soon.

Sitting there on the couch sipping a cup of hot tea my mind wanders to childhood memories of wanting to be an active participant in the snow event taking place outside the window. Being older now I'm much more willing to sitting here and participate in the warm memories of winter's past than get out there in the cold morning air. The dogs started barking which ususally meanings the being of the day. Not very many roosters around here to wake one up in the morning.

It was a typical weekend day as I ran a few errands in town. I brought along our digital camera just in the event there was a scene worth capturing. At first it appear that the snow would really accumulate and change the town into a winter wonderland. But as noon time approached it ended up just being another wet day in the rainforest of southeast Alaska. Found myself running behind schedule so I headed back home with out stopping to site see. We had friends coming over for dinner tonight so we had to cleanup and start on dinner preparations.

Brenda and the girls made it to the house before I completed my errands in town. I guess I lingered a bit to long at the store. In any event Patricia loved the company while making the last of the dinner preparations. As I came through the doors Wana and April had a gift waiting for me. Wana made us a couple of clothes pin magnetic clips for the refrigerator door and April gave us a candle in the shape of a bear and a soap bar in shape of a fish. They surprise us yet again with a couple of beautifully rendered drawings. Both these girls are talented and have such wonderful personalities and are simply great to be around.

While the baby red potatoes were baking in the oven we spent sometime looking at our blogger website. I showed off several pictures of the girls I took during the Christmas play and introduced them to the Reindeer Game and Taxi Driver game. They laughed and giggled through as they tried their hand at both games. Patricia called us down for dinner for which we all looked forward too.

Patricia made a delicious dinner and followed it up with an apple cake topped with french vanilla ice cream from a familiar family recipe. After dinner we sat around catching up on much needed adult conversation while the girls drew a number of beautiful drawings. It was good having them over offer dinner and conversation. Brenda and her girls really fill a spot in our hearts and lives...we are grateful for their friendship.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Can we come to eat at your house? Right now, our schedule is even crazier than normal, so eating patterns are pathetic! Home cooking would be welcome!! :)

Anonymous said...

We had a great time visiting with both of you. The girls love coming to your house and seeing you both and checking out the cats. What wonderful friends that we have.