Saturday, January 07, 2006

Weekend Chores

Yesterday we both spent time hanging around the house even though it was a fairly nice weather day. I had the day off thus most of my time had been used to clean out the basement from our painting and renovation projects over the summer season. I threw out a lot of scrap wood for which was piled up next to the driveway for burning and loaded up the scraps of leftover sheetrock in the back of the pickup to take to the landfill. Then we decided to have dinner in town at Annabelle's Famous Keg and Chowder House, which has great a sandwich menu.
Today we awoke to a beautiful sunny January day for which we both spent running our own errands in and about town today. I left early this morning to drop off some garbage and sheetrock debris at the City Landfill. Then I spent some time at the Stedman Street Barber Shop to have the ears lowered and treated myself to a shave. For lunch I hooked up with Patricia who spent some time shopping at Wal-Mart for some household items. Then we made our way home to finish up some weekend chores around the house.

Along the way I decided to stop and take a few pictures of some scenery that was just to beautiful to pass up with a digital camera at hand. The bridge that spans over Creek Street had a wonderful late afternoon light cast on it. After a little while I took a walk along the docks and found a dream of a sailboat sitting moored up in the local harbor. Too bad it was a calm day it would've been a great day to go full sheets to the wind. On a typical over cast day with a slight wind from the southeast most of these boats could be found dotting the horizen in the Tongass Narrows. On sunny days like this I enjoy walking the docks and checking out the sights, searching for a shot to do up a pastel drawing.

A little farther down the road I pulled over at Rotary Beach to capture the sunset at low tide. There was a large halo in ths sky but the camera wasn't able to pick it up. During the summer Rotary Beach is the local swimming hole and when there is a hot day it's a sun bathing place. After lingering here for about 10-15 minutes I realized it was getting late and I needed to finish a few last minute chores.

We both pulled into the driveway at the same time and made our way up the long set of stairs going up to the cabin. I spent most of the rest of the afternoon and evening burning up a large pile of scrap wood from cleaning up the basement the day before.

I stood out in the cold air late into the evening to watch the bonfire roar to life with an occasional breeze. It's funny how a fire like this gets one to thinking about life and all its wonder. It would've been great to have a few marshmellows and hot dogs to cook over the open fire. As I type this post for our blogger site the last of the embers are still going stronger. Every 10-15 minutes I go out onto the deck to check on the fire to make sure its still contained. Must remember to check on things in the morning before heading to church.

No comments: