
Early this morning I was awaken by our cats demanding that they be fed. During the summers months in southeast Alaska the sun rises very early, thus the cats seem to think the day should start a 4:30 am. So I dragged myself out of bed to feed them; could never understand how they could be straving yet eat so little out of their dish in the morning. Any event I noticed that it was going to be a beautiful day as there wasn't a cloud in the sky. Shaking off the desire to crawl back into a warm bed I decided to go for an early morning run.
It was great to put on those running shoes, but nothing like the feeling I was looking forward to of watching my feet hit the asphalt once again. I pulled a lite jacket over top my t-shirt as it was still somewhat cool outside. Walking down to mile post 7 brought back memories of my marathon training sessions a few years back. The sun was highlighting the road side flowers and summer grasses; the familar dandeloins and long stem fox gloves seemed to be welcoming me back like old friends.
Starting out I noticed that there was a lone skiff holding a fisherman this morning out on the water...the only truely human witness to my run this morning. It was great to feel the sunlight on my back while pasting mile post 6 heading to Mountain Point. On the way back the wind was just barely moving; one could still hear the tide coming and going ever so slightly along the beach.
At the end of my run I slowly walked back to the house, stopping at the mailbox to retrieve my water bottle to take care of my thrist. Getting to my driveway the Hillside Gang was there to greet me; their reward was few doggie treats. There is true no other better place to run than this small stretch of road just south of town. After my shower and downing a protein smoothie I head off to work truely renewed by beginning the running journey again.
No comments:
Post a Comment